31 August 2010

More deadlift talk.

Yesterday at the University of South Florida gym a guy claimed he knew what he was talking about because he was a strength coach.  And upon seeing the chalk all over my shorts, he asked if I was a powerlifter.  He even told me he knew shit about Louie Simmons.  So he showed me some fancy computer that had Westside Barbell Lit. thereupon.  I started talking to the guy, and somewhere along the way, I mentioned kettlebells swings and how they are similar to Dimel deadlifts.

Dimel Deadlifts are named after Matt Dimel, and he was famous for squatting a shit ton of weight--somewhere in the neighborhood of 1031lbs.    They are performed very quickly, and for high reps and with a submaximal weight.  In The Russian Kettlebell Challenge Pavel makes mention of people using about 30%of their 1RM.

The conversation went nowhere, as when I described the Dimel, the guy insisted they were Romanian deadlifts.  It went back in forth and he clearly didn't recognize the difference--mainly the submaximal nature of the Dimel and the rapid pace.  Some go so far as to say in the Dimel the feet go a little closer.   I got flustered and left.  What guy who follows Louie Simmons wouldn't know what the hell a Dimel deadlift is?  For that matter, he hadn't actually read Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training, which is where the majority of Louie's system comes from.  Digression, but so you people know, here's what a Dimel deadlift, a Double kettlebell swing, Romanian and Straight legged Deadlift look like:













I included the Straight leg deadlift video because most people use the term interchangeably with Romanian Deadlifts.   Now you can see the difference for yourself.  Good exercises all of them.  Do them. Or don't, I don't give a shit.  I personally am a big advocate of the double  swing/Dimel deadlift.  Using the double kettlebell swing, I have added heaps of weight to my deadlift in time periods I have not actually trained my deadlift.  Works like a charm.  I think it is because in the Dimel deadlift and the double swing, we are forced to become aware of our glutes and our hips in the deadlift movement.  And when it comes time to lift heavier, the awareness translates to the heavier weight. 

2 comments:

  1. The next time someone confuses the Romanian deadlift and straight-legged deadlift, just tell them the Romanian deadlift involves more hip activation. Or you can say the Romanian deadlift is what happens when someone intends to do the straight-legged deadlift and gets sloppy with their form.

    Great information in this entry. I know the Dimel deadlift can help with the squat, but didn't know a double swing can help with deadlifts overall. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movement pattern of double swinging is almost like a dimel--done for speed, high reps. Works the heart out a lot. Pavel talks about other people using it to help their deadlift in "Return of the Kettlebell" and the "Russian Kettlebell Challenge." If you wanna get the most out of the exercise, do them for a half hour alternating with a friend.

    ReplyDelete