12 April 2011

Immaculate (mis)conceptions: Shit that I couldn't do before, but can do now

 Read the first part

I stopped posting  my training log on here because I rarely get comments on it and I don't think most people give a shit.  Plus, I have a program I use to track my training, and I like it.  I will however share some recent things about my training in an attempt to clear up other misconceptions.

It's a volume race

I didn't bring this up last time, so I will address it now.  Looking at the logs of others who follow Gym Movement, it is really tempting to say that this might be true.  And, I suspect some people might adopt this way of training because of the volume they can potentially reach after a while of training this way.  But the truth of it is, the less you beat the fuck out of yourself, the more you can do.  In every fitness book around someone says, 'to press a lot, you must press a lot.'  A true statement, and with this system, you allow yourself to press--or perform any other movement--whenever the time is, and for how long the time is right.

That said, I like pressing so much, and I do it so often because it tests so well, my shoulders girdle is two inches greater in measurement than it was on 10 February.  All because I am at a point where I can do a lot of shoulder work.

Gratuitous, but awesome
What I am doing as of late

I have access to barbells and dumbbells around two days a week.  On those two days, I will usually go in and do several varieties of deadlifts, squats and bench presses, some military presses with dumbbells, some rows,dips, pullups, high pulls, and anything else I feel like.  I do this two times a week, and sometimes a third if I can get to the gym.

Sometimes on the same day, or other days I will do a lot of kettlebell work.  Usually in the form of snatching--doubles, singles, whatever-- and pressing, push pressing, or long cycle clean and jerks.  I usually follow this up with some sort of sprinting.






Some cool shit I can do now

8 Tactical (thumbless, pronated grip) Pull-ups
Tactical Pull-ups with 25lbs strapped on to me for a few reps
Chin-ups with 35lbs of weight strapped on to me
With pronated grip, I can deadlift about 335lbs
Dips with an added 135lbs of weight
Plate Curls with a 25lb plate for 7 reps--if you have never tried them do it, and understand the challenge they possess.
Pistol Squats
Handstand Pushups
135lb EZ bar curls

And generally, an amount of training volume I never thought I would wind up doing in my life. 

Utterly Gratuitous

Conclusion

I don't force myself to do anything now, and I believe I am truly reaping the benefits of this type of training.  You can test literally anything you feel like--even sprinting, as I tend to do to the chagrin of my other meatheaded friends.

If you train this way, you will take your training to new heights, as I and many others have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment