26 April 2011

Misconceptions demystified

At long last, here is the aforementioned video I promised. 



You may have questions about this, and that is OK.  It seems, at first, counter productive.   But I and many others will assure you it is not.  

Some things I did not cover, I will address now.  If a given movement does not test well, you can test a variation.  For example, yesterday I didn't get the desired test result for a deadlift.  One handed deadlifts tested better, so I did them.  Today, pull ups or chin ups did not test well, but staggered grip pull ups tested the best.  You can vary an exercise a lot, and they are bound to test better or worse, depending on your own biomechanics. 

If a given movement doesn't test well, do it's opposite.  The other day I demonstrated this protocol to some people.  Pressing overhead did not test well for them, but rows did.  I then got asked if I was a "fucking wizard." 

Follow the test.  I haven't done normal squats for a while, because squats with my heels elevated have tested far better than any other variation. 

You WILL get a PR every day.  Write your shit down.  You WILL get better at getting better. 

Another note on logging progress:  Write your start and stop times.  Density is important.  Charles Staley knows this.  Measure your volume.  These are where the PRs come in.  Questions are welcome. 

6 comments:

  1. It sounds very interesting and I would like to know more. I have a question that I hope you can answer for me.

    I understand that you test and determine whether an exercise is good or bad that particular day but I don't understand why the exercise is bad just because your hamstring flexibility goes down. Fact is that you are curling right - what does that have to do with the legs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ojo, a lot of the times--let us say I deadlift--a counter argument is that I 'warmed my hamstrings up via deadlifting.' The reality is that I can proceed exactly as I did and get to a certain weight and the test will fail, despite 'my hamstrings being warmed up.' For instance, the other day, I tested my deadlift weights, and when I got to 315, the test was worse than it was at 265. The overarching point is that we are not a collection of bodyparts, and that as a system, totally, each part affects the other.

    If I try to squat, and test it, a squat with an asymmetric stance might test better--it will be more advantageous to lift that way, as it were. I hope this helps, if not I will guide you somewhere better for help. Ultimately, fuck with it yourself and give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but when you then decide to work on an exercise or movement do you then test a lot of different variations to see which one tests best that day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something like that. Lately, as I mentioned, my squats with my heels elevated test the best. However, I want to train my powerlifting style squat. I test that first. It does test well, but I test a variant. The variant will test better, usually. Sometimes I will do another variant, and then the elevated heel squat lately has been the best.

    The other week, I did one handed deadlifts because they tested better than my normal DL.

    I do the same for the BP. test Competition, Wide or Close (sometimes reverse grip) and pick the best. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah thanks it does. I think I'm going to try this test-thing out in my own training and see if I can apply it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is absolutely no reason you cannot apply it.

    ReplyDelete