24 November 2010

Philosophically and anatomically, no two bodies are the same.

Here's a conversation that went down while two of my friends--one who happens to be a woman--and I were lifting today. 

Female friend-(pulls a conventional deadlift, after we have long established she doesn't like a wide stance deadlift)

Observant female gym goer who was doing something with wrist straps and dumbells and running shoes-(to my friend) Women should always deadlift with a shoulder width stance. 

Me-No two bodies are exactly the same.

Observant Female Gym Goer-Whatever, I have read the literature.

Me-I read books too, and still, no two bodies are exactly the same.  If they were, that would make God a slacker. 

I stopped talking to this girl and proceeded to hit two deadlift PRs, which I will talk about later.  My female friend hit a PR as well--a 200lb deadlift.  Not bad for a new deadlifter. 

Here is a clue as to why the girl gave her input.  Women have strong hips.  Makes them good at rearing miscreant children, who then grow up to be miscreant adults, like me.  So, in essence a wide stance might be more beneficial, as it takes away the lower back and recruits more hip muscles.  Grand. 

Female Pelvic Structure

Male Pelvic Structure
Now, what the misinformed gym goer did not take into account are, among other things, current levels of strength.  My friend happens to have extremely strong hamstrings and glutes from pushing a prowler around for hours.  And by a prowler, I mean a Toyota pick up truck filled with people.  So, with all logic a conventional stance might be more beneficial to her, and more comfortable, and have a greater payoff. 

Another thing to think about is this: the information in a lot of books can be used generally, but if you try to fit a mold that doesn't work for you, you will fail, not get strong or get hurt.  Hopefully none of these things will happen to you.  If you try to mimic Ed Coan's lift and you do not happen to be Ed Coan, you might not like the result. 

Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery, but nobody wants to get injured while training. 
 

Speaking of results, my training has yielded me pretty swell consequences.  I hit two deadlift PRs today.  My last PR consisted of a 410lb deadlift, conventional stance.  Today, I hit a 335lb overhand grip deadlift for a single, and a staggered grip 415lb deadlift both in a conventional stance.  The stance that tests best for me is actually slightly narrower than shoulder width.   My left hand is suppinated in these max attempts, with my index finger on the first ring from center, and my right hand is pronated with the pinkie touching the first ring.  (As a note, when I used to try to mimic everyone else, I would put my hands closer together, and the result would be nagging wrist pain.  Do what works best for you and is safe).  I used to believe I was better off as a sumo puller, but this style is starting to yield more results for me know, combined with the range of motion testing. 

I also decided, though I said I wouldn't, to compete in a powerlifting competition.  I randomly searched for upcoming ones in the Tampa area, and decided to do one on the 23 of January, a week after my birthday.  This means I now have to start bringing up my horribly lagging bench press, and my squat.  I will still test them.  I will also post about the progress and the meet as more details unfold. 

Remember, in lifting and in life, never box yourself in.  You will not like the consequences. 

Reposting this picture.  But I don't care, I find it hot, and her stance is not shoulder width. 

5 comments:

  1. for the record, it was a nissan, which is ever so slightly heavier than a toyota. im just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great deadlifting bro. Have you got into trap bar deadlifting and rack pulls yet? Mastering glute-ham raises will jack up those dl numbers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind trap bar lifting. I will most likely use it on a day that conventional DLs don't test well. I can hold more with the trap bar grip, which is always a plus as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prowlers? Nissans? What goes on down there on the gulph coast that i don't know of?

    Nice PRS in the DL.

    I am a January baby also. Best to you on that PL comp.

    Strength beyond strength,
    W

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will, I started a kettlebell club at the University of South Florida. And since we have no prowlers proper, in the past we have used a member's Nissan truck to push. Some call it GPP. I call it awesome.

    ReplyDelete